Our History

Cardiff Saracens Rugby Football Club was formed in 1966 when two of the oldest rugby clubs in Cardiff amalgamated. The former clubs were Roath Park RFC (est. 1889) and Spillers RFC (est. circa 1920). The 'Sarries', as they are known locally, play in black shirts with red piping, black shorts and black socks.

The club run 1st and 2nd XV teams and a Veterans XV which play from September 1 until May 6 every season. The club's ground is at Roath Park Recreation Ground and their clubhouse (The Gower Hotel) is also based in the Roath area of Cardiff about 1km from Cardiff city centre.

In 2009, having finished as runners-up in the Cardiff & District Premier Division for the previous two seasons, the club was promoted to the Welsh Rugby Union Division 6. After winning this league in 2013, they were then promoted to Division 5.  As the leagues have now been restructured, the 'Sarries will be playing this season in WRU Division 3 East Central C.

Club Honours

SWALEC Division Six South East League WInners 2012-13

Cardiff District Rugby Union Premier League Runners-Up 2007-08, 2008–09

Cardiff District Rugby Union Division 1 winners 2003-04

Ron Lucock Cup Winners: 2000/2001

Mallett Cup Winners: 1896 (Roath Park RFC),1927–28,1932–33,1933–34,1936–37,1938-39 (Spillers RFC)

Ninian Stuart Cup Winners: 1953 (Roath Park RFC), 2006

Harry Parfitt Trophy Winners: 1996